Web Site Status
This page exists to track proposed changes to the structure and static content of the web site.
- Fixed the following: "In the photo of the Easter Cross it references flowers from the church garden which is misleading since there are very few blooming plants in our garden. People bring flowers for the cross."
- Finished going through 5/7/2017 meeting notes and updating this page with requested changes and desired content.
- Created this status page to track what's been done and what's planned.
- Corrected name of "Upcoming Events" page so that it is "Upcoming Events" and not "Easter"
- Made "Welcome" page the home page that comes up when people go to collegeheights.us
- Move "Welcome" page so that it is the first item in the Menu at the top of the page
- Add a search function. MPE says: I have done some research on this. It is possible to do this in several ways. The best way is to use a SquareSpace template that incorporates the search function. The template that we are using, Peak, is an older template which SquareSpace has discontinued. Switching to a newer template is probably a good idea, but I don't want to rush into this since it has the potential to affect the appearance of every page on the site. We should also note that the search function will search all pages on the site that are not password-protected, so pages like "Guest Speaker Page" and the "Worship Volunteer Responsibilities" will show up in search results.
- Remove Pinterest link when users click on photos. MPE says: There is a setting that one can use to turn on and off the Pinterest sharing button, BUT it appears that this button does not do anything for our site. This is probably another artifact due to the fact that we're using a discontinued template.
- Bigger font on all pages.
- Bigger pictures on all pages.
- More contrast on the photo that comes up at the top of the home page.
- Under the compassion tab we list names as contacts but don't give any way to contact them if you don't have a church directory. People may not want their personal phone and emails listed online and there may be other options.
- Have a way to link to the building reservation calendar so that it displays only public events
- The current organization of the site is difficult to navigate. You have to read through the entire site to find anything. Consolidate "Nourish Your Soul", "Challenge Your View", "Share Your Compasssion" and "About Us" into two pages or page groups: "About Us" and "Activities".
- Investigate granting page-level permissions to editors so that individual church groups and activities can manage their own pages.
- Request from Marilyn Garrison: "I think it's very important to have Wednesday meditation information right up front, including time(6:30AM) and activities (meditation, breakfast, discussion of inspirational literature). Right now our inspirational lit is The book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu."
On May 7, 2017, Pat Farquhar, Polly Moore, Jim Mathews, Peter Meredith and Mike Ellard met to review the website. The first question we asked was, "What should people expect to find on our website?" Here were our responses. Stars are used to indicate how many times each item came up in people's responses:
Service Times ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Activities / Groups ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Church Culture / Theology ⭐️⭐️⭐️
How to contact us ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Staff / Pastor Info ⭐️⭐️
How to donate ⭐️⭐️
Partners / Tenant activities ⭐️⭐️
How to prepare yourself emotionally for being here ⭐️
Our religious spectrum ⭐️
Political involvement ⭐️
Past Events - things that will prompt smiles ⭐️
Encouragement to visit ⭐️
Ways to participate ⭐️
Testimonials and other marketing materials ⭐️
Something that shows updated content ⭐️
Hosting your events - how to rent space ⭐️
Comment: this is a site for visitors, not for ourselves. Everything should encourage people to visit. ⭐️
Comment: "We need to weave a story somehow either in pictures and or words that people see and say I need to check this place out." ⭐️