News for Feb 21, 2023
This Sunday, Feb 26: In-person service
David Wartman will be our guest preacher this Sunday. His topic is Lent, and how its meaning has changed for him over the years. The Giving Sunday collection for February is for Puente de la Costa Sur. They’re busy helping people recover and clean up from all the rain.
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used
during recent services.
Ash Wednesday Service
Tomorrow at 7 pm, we will join with Many Journeys and return to our pre-Covid Ash Wednesday observance -- walking the meditative spiral of return that takes up the whole sanctuary floor. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the 40-day journey that is Lent. Come walk with us as your own journey of return begins.
February is Black History Month
Local events happening in celebration include:
Hoskins Black History Pop-up Museum and Learning Center in Redwood City, Feb 3-28, 12-5 pm
Interview with sculptor of the Harriet Tubman statue to be unveiled at Millbrae BART Gateway on March 16
Upcoming services and events • Ash Wednesday Service: Wed, Feb 22 (7 pm) at church
Meditative service shared with Many Journeys, walking the spiral of return.
• Contemplative Pairs: Sat, Feb 25, (10 am–4 pm) at church
A workshop led by Roy Gesley.
• Book Group: Sun Feb 26 (7 pm), Zoom
Reading “Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine” by Alan Lightma
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Mar 5
Join us after worship to plan future services
• Weds discussion group: Mar 8 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re continuing with the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise. Ask Polly for more details.
• Celebration of Life for Alice Bishop: Sat, Mar 11 (2 pm)
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Deirdre Doyle in Aragon Drama's production of The Diary of Anne Frank, March 10-12. Tickets and info here.
• "Ae Fond Kiss" by Robert Burns, sung by Karen Matheson & Paul Brady
• Missing jacket! Did you happen to take home a black jacket on Sunday morning that isn't yours? If so, please contact Pat Farquhar for a trade. She has yours.
Quote of the week
“Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Ash Wednesday spiral