News for Feb 28, 2023
This Sunday, March 5: In-person service
Rev. Polly Moore will be our preacher this Sunday. The story of Nicodemus (John 3:1-10), the disciple who came by night, will be retold with the help of a small collection of Native American carvings. The Giving Sunday collection for March is for Stephan Waligur's Community of Peace in Virginia. We will share his wonderful music by learning a new prayer chant. Communion will be celebrated.
Worship & Arts will meet after worship. Come help us plan the rest of Lent and beyond.
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
Crossan Easter Videos
Noted progressive Christian scholar John Dominic Crossan has prepared a series of four illustrated video lectures on the Easter stories, using material from his books "The Last Week" and "Resurrecting Easter." We will gather on Zoom to watch these videos together (followed by discussion, naturally) on Thursday evenings in March, beginning on March 9 at 7 pm. The first lecture is titled "Metaphors for Jesus' Exaltation." All are welcome.
Changes in the UCC
Rev. Dr. Karen Georgia Thompson has been nominated to replace retiring Rev. Dr. John Dorhauer as General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ. If elected, she will be the first woman, and the first woman of African descent, to lead the denomination.
In our local Northern California Nevada Conference, retiring Conference Minister Rev. Diane Weible has been succeeded by Bridge Conference Minister Rev. Davena Jones. Davena had been serving as our Associate Conference Minister.
Upcoming services and events
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Mar 5
Join us after worship to plan future services
• Weds discussion group: Mar 8 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re continuing with the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise. Ask Polly for more details.
• Crossan video #1: Mar 9 (7 pm), Zoom. "Metaphors for Jesus' Exaltation"
• Lenten Taize Service: Fri, Mar 10 (7:30 pm)
• Celebration of Life for Alice Bishop: Sat, Mar 11 (2 pm). Alice's obituary is online here.
• Book Group: Sun, Mar 26 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "Peach Blossom Spring" by Melissa Fu.
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Deirdre Doyle in Aragon Drama's production of The Diary of Anne Frank, March 10-12. Tickets and info here.
• Time-lapse video of the Aurora Borealis.
• "All Shall Be Well" by Stefan Waligur
Quote of the week
“Now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good." -- John Steinbeck
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Karen's Lenten altar last Sunday