News for Apr 25, 2023
This Sunday, April 30: In-person service
This Sunday, April 30, Rev Polly will be preaching on "Loose Ends, Common Threads," weaving together the post-Easter stories of Jesus' appearances, the gravity of Earth Day, and the indigenous wisdom of books we have been reading lately. Church Council will meet after worship.
The Giving Sunday collection for April is for One Great Hour of Sharing (UCC).
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
Lory Lawson life celebration, Sat at 11
All are invited to a life celebration for Lory Lawson, this Saturday, April 29 at 11am. Lory was a former CHC member who retired to Oregon and passed away recently after a battle with cancer. Her husband Mark and sons Ford and Clark will be here, along with friends from the many years they were active San Mateo community members. (Lory sat on the San Mateo School Board, no small task.) It was Lory's special request that her service be held at College Heights.
Earth Day Redux
Thanks to all who contributed to our Earth Day celebration last Sunday! I forgot a very germane item, though, and that was to include a land acknowledgement. Our church property is part of the traditional territory of the Ramaytush/Muwekma/Ohlone peoples. (For more detail, see the map here.)
There was a request for a copy of the benediction that Marilyn used, written by our former pastor Jim Burklo.
Annual Gathering June 15-17
The Annual Gathering of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC will happen close to us this year, at First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, from Thursday, June 15 to Saturday, June 17. This is the meeting that used to be at Asilomar, then moved to the campus of Sonoma State University, and finally landed on the Peninsula. Check out the draft schedule, price list and registration. This is a good opportunity to catch up with friends from other churches and meet the new conference staff.
Church Camp July 14-16
The Belmont UCC is reviving an old tradition of sharing a Family Camp weekend with local UCC churches, and we are invited. It won't be Camp Caz, of course, but they have found the Methodist Monte Toyon camp near Aptos to be a reasonable substitute (looks slightly less rustic than Caz to me!). Information from Belmont is here; if you're interested in going, tell Polly before June 1.
Upcoming services and events
• Weds discussion group: Apr 26 (7 pm), Zoom
Exploration of the UCC's Statement of Faith, past and present.
• Celebration of Life for Lory Lawson: Sat, Apr 29 (11 am)
All are invited as we remember Lory. She was a member of CHC for many years before retiring to Oregon.
• Church Council: Sun, April 30, after worship.
Note the change in date from the usual "third Sunday."
• Women's Group Potluck Lunch: Sun, May 7, after worship
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Potluck at the Doyle's: Sun, May 21 after church. Graduation celebration for Deirdre!
• Many Journeys Sending-Out Celebration:: Sat, May 27 at church 11-2
We are all invited to their farewell gathering. RSVP to Rev Terri for the food headcount.
• Worship & Arts: Sun, May 28 after church. Come help us plan the summer.
• Book Group: Sun, Apr 23 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "You Could Make this Place Beautiful" by Maggie Smith.
• Annual Church Picnic: Sun, June 4, in Butch's redwood grove. Gather at 11 am.
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Platt brothers sing “Ahavat Olam” with lyrics (Hebrew and English) here.
• Two hard-working farm dogs herding sheep.
• GoFundMe link for Chris Ramirez, former student from Capuchino HS (where Pepe teaches), who survived brain cancer only to have his family's apartment destroyed in a fire. Friends are raising funds to secure another apartment and replace clothing and household items.
Quote of the week
"The artist is not a special kind of person; rather each person is a special kind of artist."
- Ananda Coomaraswamy
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Jim Garrison meditation card