News for Aug 10, 2021
This Sun, Aug 15
This Sunday, join us for worship online. Congregation member Kevin Doyle will continue our August on Broadway series by preaching on Rodgers and Hammerstein's “South Pacific.” Join us via Zoom a few minutes before 10 am.
Worship leader training: Weds at 5:30 pm
Interested in planning and leading worship? This week’s new members meeting will be devoted to learning about and practicing worship planning. We’ll start with an orientation to the resources available, then practice by actually planning an upcoming service together. Building off each other’s ideas often produces something unexpectedly lovely. Join us Wed, Aug 11 at 5:30 in our Zoom room. The meeting will be also recorded in case you miss it.
• Taizé service: Fri, Aug 13 at 7:30 pm (Zoom)
“Everything Falls Away” by Parker Palmer will be the reading. (Next month, we'll have this year's first in-person Taizé on Fri, Sep 10).
• Women's group (in person): Mon, Aug 16 at 1 pm
Meet at Fiero Caffe for the monthly in-person lunch.
• Book group: Sun, Aug 22 at 7 pm (Zoom)
Read one (or both!) of this month's books:
- “The Wolf at Twilight” (second in Nerburn’s trilogy)
- “1491” by Charles Mann
Links and resources
• The American mosque is a melting pot of traditions
• The untidiness of Marie Kondo’s spirituality
• Chaplain provides support to Olympians
Quote of the week
“If our religion is based on salvation, our chief emotions will be fear and trembling. If our religion is based on wonder, our chief emotion will be gratitude.”
Weekly online events
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Usually on Zoom; third Mondays at Fiero Caffe
• Meditation: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am.
Usually on Zoom
Image: Children on College Heighs Church's lawn circa 1970 (looking towards CSM).