News for Feb 1, 2022
This Sun, Feb 6
Join us online this Sunday at 10 am. Rev. Jim Burklo will discuss “Souljourning.” Burklo is the Senior Associate Dean of Religious and Spiritual Life at the University of Southern California. He is the author of six published books on progressive christianity. He serves as an honorary advisor for Progressive Christianity and a board member of Progressive Christians Uniting. (After church, stick around for a Worship & Arts Committee meeting to help plan upcoming services.) Join us on Zoom a few minutes before 10 am.
This Sunday, we'll have a Giving Sunday for California Clubhouse, which offers hope, encouragement and opportunities to people who live with mental illness. They empower people who live with mental illness through work, friendship, resources, support, and an overarching ethic that focuses on building strengths rather than managing illness. Learn more.
Upcoming events • Worship and Arts committee: Sun, Feb 6 (11:30 am), Zoom
Join us after church to help plan upcoming worship services, including Lent and Easter.
• Wednesday Discussion Group: Feb 9 (7 pm), Zoom
Heaven and Hell. Are they places? States of mind? Social constructs? Bring your ideas.
• Taizé: Fri, Feb 11 (7:30), in person
Join us for a service of chant and contemplation.
• Women's gathering: Sat, Feb 12 (2 pm), in person
Instead of a Pacific Grove weekend retreat this year, we’re holding an afternoon tea party at church on Feb 12 from 2–4 pm. Think cupcakes, valentines, visiting old friends, and meeting some new ones. All women connected in any way to the church are invited!
• In-person service: Sun, Feb 20 (10 am)
Join us for our next in-person worship service Feb 20.
• Book group: Sun, Feb 27 (7 pm), Zoom
Links and resources
• Fr. James Martin on how to respond to the death of someone whose COVID stance is different than yours
• Images from Thich Nhat Hanh’s funeral procession
• Opinion: Churches should drop their online services
Quote of the week
“There are many, many Christians who practice Buddhism, and they become better and better Christians all the time.”
—Thích Nhất Hạnh
Weekly online events
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Usually on Zoom; third Mondays at Fiero Caffe
• Meditation: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am
Usually on Zoom
Image: Jim Burklo