News for Jan 31, 2023
Sun, Feb 5: In-person service
Join us in person this Rev Polly will preach on “Why We Go to Church,” using as her texts Didache 16:2a and Psalm 122. Communion will be celebrated. The Giving Sunday collection for February is for Puente de la Costa Sur. They’re busy helping people recover and clean up from all the rain. The Worship & Arts Committee will meet after the service. Stay and help us plan for Lent.
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
• The Jan 29 sermon was not recorded
• Watch the Jan 22 Lunar New Year service, recorded by a friend of Elliotte
Half Moon Bay remembrance events will be held Tuesday
Two events planned for today will honor those killed in last week's shootings.
• Memorial service hosted by Our Lady of the Pillar church and the Coastside Interfaith Community. Followed by candlelight procession. (4 pm Tuesday at the Boys & Girls Club Event Center, 530 Kelly Ave. in Half Moon Bay)
• Community gathering for dinner and fellowship. Please register here. (6 pm at the I.D.E.S. Hall, 735 Main St. in Half Moon Bay)
For more info about these events, visit the City of Half Moon Bay's event page.
Easter series with John Dominic Crossan
Similar to his “First Christmas” lectures, Dom Crossan is recording a four-lecture series on “The Last Week” (his book with Marcus Borg). Tell Polly if you’d be interested in watching the lectures together and discussing them. We’ll pick times during Lent. More info.
Upcoming services and events • Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Feb 5
Join us after worship to plan future services
• Weds discussion group: Feb 8 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re embarking on the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise for anyone who hasn’t done that yet, or who did it before and wants to update it. Ask Polly for more details.
• Women’s lunch: Mon, Feb 20 (1 pm) at church
Pepe Doyle hosting.
• Contemplative Pairs: Sat, Feb 25, (10 am–4 pm) at church
A workshop led by Roy Gesley
• Book Group: Sun Feb 26 (7 pm), Zoom
Reading “Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine” by Alan Lightman
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Ed Morgan’s video about Wisdom in Proverbs 8
• “The Dome” by Richard Shindell
Quote of the week
“All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times; but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, until they take root in our personal experience.”
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: A recent worship service