News for July 4, 2023
This Sunday, July 9: In-person service
This Sunday, July 9, John Latham will continue our summer sermon series on poetry with his favorite examples by D. H. Lawrence.
If you have poetry you would like to share but aren't sure you want to take on an entire Sunday service, you can always do something together with a friend or two. Talk to Polly or Marilyn G. if you need ideas or encouragement.
Worship & Arts will meet after church.
The Giving Sunday offering for July is for San Mateo's Catherine Center, helping women re-enter society after incarceration.
Taize service this Friday
Join us this Friday at 7:30 pm for our monthly service of chant and prayer. (Yes, you're right, it is a week early. But the usual Friday is the beginning of Church Camp, and we have lots of people attending this year.)
Peter will be back from his choral music extravaganza in Europe, and we'll share a reading from Mechtild of Magdeburg, a 13th c. German mystic. Come enjoy the quiet.
Upcoming services and events
• Taize service: Fri, July 7 (7:30 pm) at church. Also available on Zoom. Note that it's a week earlier than the usual "second Friday."
• Worship & Arts: Sun, July 9 after church. Come help us plan the summer.
• Book Group: Sun, July 9 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading the novel “Our Missing Hearts” by Celeste Ng
• Weds discussion group: July 12 (7 pm), Zoom
"Basic Bible Stories", starting with Adam and Eve and the snake. What does the Bible actually say and what has been read into it over the centuries? Everyone is welcome.
• Church Camp. July 14-16 at Monte Toyon along with Belmont UCC and others.
• Church Council. There will be no Council meeting in July. Enjoy the break!
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• A 40-year-old clip featuring the incomparable Robin Williams as the American flag. Happy 4th!
• Jim Palmer comparing the teachings of Buddha and Jesus
• Excerpt from a dress rehearsal of Marcello’s Concerto in D minor with Xavier de Maistre on harp.
Quote of the week
"Take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention." -- John O'Donohue
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Kevin's "Fourth of July in Ohio" altar for Pat's last Sunday with us.