News for Mar 21, 2023
This Sunday, March 26: In-person service
Our guest preacher this Sunday is Eric DeBode of Abundant Grace Coastside Worker. Eric has been with us before and his messages are always inspiring.
After worship we will have a congregational discussion about continued masking. You are encouraged to stay and be heard. If you know you won't be there and have a message for the group, share it with Polly or Roy before Sunday.
Pizza will be there too. Feel free to bring something to share and we'll have a lunchtime smorgy.
Many Journeys closing
Our sister church, Many Journeys MCC, is closing after seventeen years worshipping in our space. Easter will be their last regular worship service; it's a full circle, as they began on Easter, 2006. Theirs is a not unusual story for a small church, caught in the twin grip of COVID and the economic realities of the Bay Area. The details are shared in their announcement. Terri and members of her congregation with share worship with us on May 14, as they visit different churches in the area. Our prayers are with them.
Holy Week services
• Palm Sunday (Apr 2) -- Rev. Roy Gesley preaching
• Maundy Thursday (Apr 6) -- joint service at CHC, with Many Journeys, Island United and Belmont UCC. Light finger-food supper at 6 pm, service at 7.
• Good Friday (Apr 7) -- joint service at CCSM (the downtown church), reflections on the Seven Last Words of Christ, choir singing.
• Easter Sunday (Apr 9) -- Rev. Polly Moore preaching. Flower cross for the altar, memorial lilies, choir singing.
Easter season choir schedule
Instant Choir is back! Anyone who wants to sing with the choir for Easter is welcome. We're singing at the Good Friday service at CCSM and on Easter Sunday. Here's the rehearsal schedule:
Sun, Mar 26, 9-10 am
Sun, Apr 2, 8:30-10 am
Tues, Apr 4, 7:30-9 pm
Fri, Apr 7, 5:30-6:30 pm (at CCSM)
Sun, Apr 9, 8:30-10 am
Crossan Easter Videos
Noted progressive Christian scholar John Dominic Crossan has prepared a series of four illustrated video lectures on the Easter stories, using material from his books "The Last Week" and "Resurrecting Easter." We will gather on Zoom to watch these videos together (followed by discussion, naturally) on Thursday evenings in March, with the next one on March 23 at 7 pm. It's titled "The Eastern Tradition of Universal Resurrection." All are welcome.
Upcoming services and events
• Weds discussion group: Mar 22 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re continuing with the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise. Ask Polly for more details.
• Crossan video #3: Mar 23 (7 pm), Zoom "The Eastern Tradition of Universal Resurrection"
• Book Group: Sun, Mar 26 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "Peach Blossom Spring" by Melissa Fu.
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Apr 16. Join us after worship to plan future services
• Taize Service: Fri, April 21, 7:30 pm.
Note the change in date from the usual "second Friday."
• Church Council: Sun, April 30, after worship.
Note the change in date from the usual "third Sunday."
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Masterworks Chorale will sing Beethoven's Mass in C and more, April 1 & 2 at Carlmont Performing Arts Center in Belmont. Tickets and info here.
• Amalgamation Choir singing “Ksenitia tou Erota” (Greek)
Quote of the week
“When people talk about traveling to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small, but hardly anyone in the present really thinks that they can radically change the future by doing something small." -- Justin Coutts
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Eric DeBode of Abundant Grace