News for Mar 28, 2023
This Sunday, April 2: In-person service
This Sunday is Palm Sunday, marking the beginning of Holy Week. Rev. Roy Gesley will be our guest preacher. He'll be talking about the story in Mark 11:15-18 when Jesus overturns the money-changers' tables in the temple in Jerusalem.
Instant Choir will rehearse at 8:30am, before worship. It's not too late to come sing with us!
Don't forget to sign the list of memorial lilies for Easter. Names will be printed in the bulletin on Easter.
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
The congregational discussion last Sunday yielded a new masking policy. Masking is optional. It's encouraged and appreciated, but it's up to you. If you are more comfortable staying masked, that's totally fine. So we will have a mix, much like what we see in public now. Masking is still required if you are unvaccinated. As before, if you feel sick, please test; if positive, stay home and zoom. If you discover that you are positive or have been exposed to COVID, and you've attended a church event recently, please let Polly know so she can alert other attendees. Extra masks will continue to be provided (they're in the credenza in the foyer).
Holy Week services
• Palm Sunday (Apr 2) -- Rev. Roy Gesley preaching. Choir practice at 8:30 am.
• Maundy Thursday (Apr 6) -- joint service at CHC, with Many Journeys, Island United, Belmont UCC and CCSM. Light finger-food supper at 6 pm, service at 7. Zoom will be available. Please come at 5 if you can help with chairs and altar.
• Good Friday (Apr 7) -- joint service at CCSM (Congregational Church of San Mateo, what we call "the downtown church"), reflections on the Seven Last Words of Christ, choir singing. Service is at 7pm. Choir rehearses 5:30-6:30.
• Easter Sunday (Apr 9) -- Rev. Polly Moore preaching. Flower cross for the altar, memorial lilies, choir singing.
Easter season choir schedule
Instant Choir is back! Anyone who wants to sing with the choir for Easter is welcome. We're singing at the Good Friday service at CCSM and on Easter Sunday. Here's the rehearsal schedule:
Sun, Apr 2, 8:30-10 am
Tues, Apr 4, 7:30-9 pm
Fri, Apr 7, 5:30-6:30 pm (at CCSM)
Sun, Apr 9, 8:30-10 am
Sabrina has offered to share her cybersecurity training with all of us: how to recognize cybersecurity threats, common phishing strategies to be alert to, and so forth. Computerese is not the mother tongue of most of us, so this will be very helpful. Feel free to invite friends and family. Thursday, April 13 at 7pm in the usual CHC zoom room.
Upcoming services and events
• Crossan video #4: Mar 30 (7 pm), Zoom "Reconciliation of Eastern and Western Resurrection Traditions"
• Weds discussion group: Apr 12 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re continuing with the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise. Ask Polly for more details.
• Cybersecurity training: Thurs Apr 13 (7 pm), Zoom
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Apr 16. Join us after worship to plan future services
• Taize Service: Fri, April 21, 7:30 pm.
Note the change in date from the usual "second Friday."
• Book Group: Sun, Apr 23 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "The Bowl of Light" by Hank Wesselman
• Church Council: Sun, April 30, after worship.
Note the change in date from the usual "third Sunday."
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Masterworks Chorale will sing Beethoven's Mass in C and more, Sat Apr 1 at 7 and Sun Apr 2 at 4, at Carlmont High School in Belmont. Tickets and info here.
• Annual spring sandhill crane migration on the Platte River
Quote of the week
“Just as cultivating a garden requires turning over the ground, pulling weeds, planting, and watering, doing the work of love is all about taking action.." -- bell hooks
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Jesus overturning the tables