News for May 2, 2023
This Sunday, May 7: In-person service, no Zoom
This Sunday, May 7, is all about music. Our own Peter Meredith will speak (in addition to playing!) and Marilyn Garrison will lead worship. Zoom will not be available; sorry for the inconvenience.
The Giving Sunday collection for April is for California Clubhouse.
Women's Group potluck this Sunday
Stay after church for a potluck lunch this Sunday and catch up with everyone. Bring something to share. All women connected with CHC are invited.
Annual Gathering June 15-17
The Annual Gathering of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC will happen close to us this year, at First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, from Thursday, June 15 to Saturday, June 17. This is the meeting that used to be at Asilomar, then moved to the campus of Sonoma State University, and finally landed on the Peninsula. Check out the draft schedule, price list and registration. This is a good opportunity to catch up with friends from other churches and meet the new conference staff.
Church Camp July 14-16
The Belmont UCC is reviving an old tradition of sharing a Family Camp weekend with local UCC churches, and we are invited. It won't be Camp Caz, of course, but they have found the Methodist Monte Toyon camp near Aptos to be a reasonable substitute (looks slightly less rustic than Caz to me!). Information from Belmont is here; if you're interested in going, tell Polly before June 1.
Upcoming services and events
• Women's Group Potluck Lunch: Sun, May 7, after worship
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Weds discussion group: May 10 (7 pm), Zoom
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father but through me." (John 14:6) What did it mean originally and how else has it been interpreted? All are welcome to the conversation.
• Taize Service: Fri, May 12 (7:30 pm) at church
• Potluck at the Doyle's: Sun, May 21 after church. Graduation celebration for Deirdre!
• Many Journeys Sending-Out Celebration:: Sat, May 27 at church 11-2
We are all invited to their farewell gathering. RSVP to Rev Terri for the food headcount.
• Worship & Arts: Sun, May 28 after church. Come help us plan the summer.
• Book Group: Sun, Apr 23 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "You Could Make this Place Beautiful" by Maggie Smith.
• Annual Church Picnic: Sun, June 4, in Butch's redwood grove. Gather at 11 am.
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Harry Belafonte and the Muppets sing the Earth Song.
• Masterworks Chorale is doing a staged reading of the musical "Secret Garden," on May 20 at 7pm and May 21 at 4pm, at CCSM (aka the downtown church). Classic children's story, really lovely music. Here's a sample: "Come to my garden" sung by the boy Colin and the ghost of his mother Lily.
• Deirdre's final choir concert is this Friday, May 5, 7 pm at Aragon High School, in the theater. Deirdre sings in the Chamber Choir.
Quote of the week
"How is it possible that the most intellectual creature ever to walk on planet Earth is destroying its only home?" -- Dr. Jane Goodall
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Kevin Doyle's "earth in balance" altar last Sunday