News for Nov 22, 2022
This Sunday: Zoom service
Join us on Zoom this Sunday at 10 am. Our guest preacher is MK Nelson, and her text is Matthew 24:36-44.
(Also, please sign up to volunteer on an upcoming Sunday as reader, greeter, etc.)
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
Congregational meeting: Dec 4
There will be a congregational meeting after worship on Dec 4 to vote on the budget for 2023. If you can’t be there in person, please send your absentee ballot to Al Hasse. (Members should have received a ballot via email from David Wartman on Nov 16.)
In-person events in December
• Fri, Dec 2: “Deck the Halls” and soup supper (5:30 pm)
• Sun, Dec 4: Worship service with Rev. Carol Barriger preaching (10 am). Choir rehearsal at 9 am before worship; congregational meeting and women’s lunch after worship
• Fri, Dec 9: Advent Taizé (7:30)
• Sat, Dec 10: Lois Brock Memorial (2 pm)
• Sun, Dec 11: Worship service with Rev. Terri Echelbarger preaching (10 am). Choir rehearsal after worship.
• Tue, Dec 13: Caroling in the neighborhood (7 pm)
• Sun, Dec 18: Rev. Polly Moore preaching (10 am). Choir rehearsal at 9 am before worship; church council after worship
• Sat, Dec 24: Joint Christmas Eve service with Many Journeys MCC (8 pm)
• Sun, Dec 25: No CHC service. (Many Journeys will have a Zoom service at 10 am)
Obituary for Lois Brock
An obituary for Lois was published last week: “While she especially enjoyed teaching first graders to read, it was her family, friends, and the College Heights Church that were the center of her life. She was a very kind and selfless person. Lois always thought of others before herself. She had great compassion for all mankind and never passed anyone without giving a warm smile.” The memorial service for Lois will be at 2 pm on Saturday, Dec 10. If you can help with chair setup, please come at 10 am for an hour or so.
Welcome, new members
Last Sunday we welcomed Marguerite, Caje, Janice, Eva, and George as members of CHC. Please join us in welcoming them!
Other upcoming events • Thanksgiving potluck: Thu, Nov 24, 2 pm
In person at the church. Contact Karen to RSVP
• Monthly women's lunch: Sun, Dec 4, 12–2 pm
Join us in person at the church
• Weds discussion group: Jan 11 (7 pm), Zoom
• Book group: Sun, Jan 22 (7 pm), Zoom
“Fresh Water for Flowers” by Valerie Perrin
CHC members in the news
• “Mamma Mia” was a smash hit at Aragon:
Congratulations to Deirdre Doyle and the whole cast of Mamma Mia. Deirdre won the Gypsy Robe Award, given for her “endless enthusiasm and commitment.” She was the dance captain for the show.
• College Heights helps fight medical debt:
CHC was mentioned in a San Mateo Daily Journalarticle on the Belmont UCC fundraiser which retired $2M in medical debt. Here's a picture of Al at the event (which for some reason didn't make the paper.)
Quote of the week
“Choosing to have joy is not naively thinking everything will be easy. It is courageously believing that there is still hope, even when things get hard.”
—Morgan Harper Nichols
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Usually on Zoom; third Mondays at church
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Guest preacher MK Nelson