News for Apr 18, 2023
This Sunday, April 23: In-person service
This Sunday is our Earth Day celebration. Instead of a sermon we have a wonderful collection of poems, stories, songs and art to share with you. Time to lament what we've done to the Earth, and time to reflect on how we can do better. Polly and Kevin will sing the "Litany for the Healing of Creation."
The Giving Sunday collection for April is for One Great Hour of Sharing (UCC).
Taize this Friday
Join us Friday evening, April 21, at 7:30 pm for our monthly Taize service. Prayer, chant and quiet, all by candlelight. Hear poetry by Naomi Shihab Nye as well as Hilary Lewis on viola. Masking is optional. The usual Zoom room will also be open.
Annual Gathering June 15-17
The Annual Gathering of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC will happen close to us this year, at First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, from Thursday, June 15 to Saturday, June 17. This is the meeting that used to be at Asilomar, then moved to the campus of Sonoma State University, and finally landed on the Peninsula. Check out the draft schedule, price list and registration. This is a good opportunity to catch up with friends from other churches and meet the new conference staff.
Church Camp July 14-16
The Belmont UCC is reviving an old tradition of sharing a Family Camp weekend with local UCC churches, and we are invited. It won't be Camp Caz, of course, but they have found the Methodist Monte Toyon camp near Aptos to be a reasonable substitute (looks slightly less rustic than Caz to me!). Information from Belmont is here; if you're interested in going, tell Polly before June 1.
Upcoming services and events
• Taize Service: Fri, April 21, 7:30 pm.
Note the change in date from the usual "second Friday."
• Book Group: Sun, Apr 23 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "The Bowl of Light" by Hank Wesselman
• Weds discussion group: Apr 26 (7 pm), Zoom
Exploration of the UCC's Statement of Faith, past and present.
• Celebration of Life for Lory Lawson: Sat, Apr 29 (11 am)
All are invited as we remember Lory. She was a member of CHC for many years before retiring to Oregon.
• Church Council: Sun, April 30, after worship.
Note the change in date from the usual "third Sunday."
• Women's Group Potluck Lunch: Sun, May 7, after worship
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Worldwide Faith News website, originally crafted by our own George Conklin
• Berkeley's peregrines -- three healthy chicks!
• GoFundMe link for Chris Ramirez, former student from Capuchino HS (where Pepe teaches), who survived brain cancer only to have his family's apartment destroyed in a fire. Friends are raising funds to secure another apartment and replace clothing and household items.
Quote of the week
"And if you don’t think you have anything to be grateful for, keep looking. Because you don’t just receive optimism. You can’t wait for things to be great and then be grateful for that. You’ve got to behave in a way that promotes that." -- Michael J. Fox
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Earth Day celebration on Sunday!