News for Jan 17, 2023
Sun, Jan 22: In-person service
Join us in person this Sun, Jan 22. Elliotte Mao will talk about Chinese New Year. You're encouraged to wear red!
The sermon for Sun, Jan 15 was not recorded, but here is the written version of sermon.
How to decorate the altar
If you’re interested in signing up to do an altar for an in-person Sunday, here are some tips to get you started.
Upcoming services and events • Book group: Sun, Jan 22 (7 pm), Zoom
“Fresh Water for Flowers” by Valerie Perrin
• Weds discussion group: Jan 25 (7 pm), Zoom
We’re embarking on the “writing your spiritual journey” exercise for anyone who hasn’t done that yet, or who did it a long time ago and wants to update it. Talk to Polly for more details. If you haven’t see it yet, check out Dr. Jill Bolte-Taylor’s TED talk.
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Feb 5
Join us after worship to plan future services
• Contemplative Pairs: Sat, Feb 24, (10 am–4 pm) at church
A workshop led by Roy Gesley
• Enlightenment Intensive: May 4-7 in Pacific Grove
A retreat led by Roy Gesley
• Men’s retreat: May 25-28 in Pacific Grove
Links and resources
• KQED series on “Searching: The Quest for Meaning in an Age of Science”
• William Byrd’s Agnus Dei from his Mass for 4 Voices, sung by Stile Antico
Quote of the week
“We have lived our lives by the assumption that what was good for us would be good for the world. We have been wrong. We must change our lives so that it will be possible to live by the contrary assumption, that what is good for the world will be good for us. And that requires that we make the effort to know the world and learn what is good for it.”
—Wendell Berry in “The Long-Legged House”
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: The most recent men's retreat. (Photo by Ed Morgan)