News for Jan 26, 2021
This Sun, Jan 31
This Sunday, congregation member Jim Garrison will take another look at the topic of hope. He writes: “As Rev. Polly pointed out last week, ideas can appear quite different depending on the light that we shine upon them. Hope has meant a lot of different things to different people.” To explore these different approaches to hope, join us via Zoom a few minutes before 10 am Pacific.
Watch Rev. Polly's message
Last Sunday, Rev. Polly Moore preached a sermon titled “How the Light Gets In." Her text was 1 Corinthians 13: 8–13. She talked about looking forward with hope and humility — aided by geometry. Watch now or see our worship slides.
Donate food to Abundant Grace
The Shafskys are organizing a collection of food and goods for our brothers and sisters in need. Drop off nonperishable foods, bath towels, shampoo and soap in pump dispensers, and laundry soap (no bleach) in the box in the church sanctuary before Feb 14. They'll donate everything to Abundant Grace Coastside Worker.
• New members' group: Wed, Jan 27 (5:30 pm) “Journey into Wellness.” All are invited. • Women's retreat: Sat, Jan 30 (4:30–6 pm) Join old friends and new for a time of laughter, memories, and conversation. • Deep sharing exercise: Sun, Feb 14 (4 pm) An experience of deep sharing in pairs. Read this explanation and email Roy. • Book group: Sun, Feb 28 (5 pm) We'll discuss chapters 1–14 of “The Alphabet Versus the Goddess” by Leonard Shlain.
Links and resources
• Will Joe Biden elevate liberal Catholicism?
• Rev. Victor Floyd sings "Beautiful City" from Godspell • World's largest labyrinth under construction • Brené Brown on empathy vs. sympathy(via Jaye)
Quote of the week
“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” — Benjamin Franklin
Weekly online events
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am
• Meditation discussion: Wednesdays at 8 am
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm