News for Jan 5, 2021
This Sun, Jan 10
This Sunday, we welcome Rev. Annanda Barclay of Mission Bay Community Church. She obtained her M.Div. at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. She is a Fund for Theological Education Ministry Fellow. In addition to MBCC, she juggles her time between being an interim chaplain at University of the Redlands Graduate School of Theology (formerly San Francisco Theological Seminary) and being a chaplain intern at Stanford Medical Center. Join via Zoom.
Watch Kevin Doyle's sermon
Last Sunday, Kevin Doyle offered a message called “At the End of the Tunnel, There's a Light.” He wrote: “There's a light at the end of the tunnel. The inside might be as black as the night, but at the end of the tunnel there's a light. We can see the light, but are still in the dark, and need to keep chugging along with caution, perseverance, and a positive attitude.” Watch now or see our worship slides.
Events this week
• Worship & Arts: Join us Tue, Jan 5 at 7 pm to help plan up upcoming worship services. Come with ideas for a Lenten theme; Ash Wednesday is just around the corner(!)
• Taizé service: Come Fri, Jan 8 at 7:30 pm for a service of chant, prayer, and contemplation. We'll have poetry from Mary Oliver, “I See Hope on the Horizon” by Destiny Muhammad, and more as we move gratefully into a new year.
Click here to join any church event.
Links and resources
• Jarron Collins in an LA Times story on "Girl Dads" • “Baba Yetu” (“Our Father” in Swahili). Plus: here's the backstory on this composition • Hospital chaplains have mixed emotions about being first in line for coronavirus vaccine • “Both Sides Now” duet • NYE light show at Seattle's Space Needle
Quote of the week
"Lift up your faces; you have a piercing need for this bright morning dawning for you." —Maya Angelou
Weekly online events
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am
• Meditation chat: Wednesdays at 8 am
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm