News for Jul 6, 2021
This Sun, Jul 11
This Sunday at 10 am, our speaker will be Isabel Stenzel Byrnes, co-author of “The Power of Two: A Twin Triumph Over Cystic Fibrosis.” From the book's description: “Ana and Isa are identical twins who recount their lifelong struggle to pursue normal lives with cystic fibrosis while grappling with the realization that they will die young. This coming-of-age story reveals their tumultuous battle against their bodies, their desire for independent identities, and their gradual acceptance of being loveable despite being physically different.” Consider reading the book or watching the documentary. Join us via Zoom a few minutes before 10 am.
Listen to last Sunday's message
On Sunday, Rev. Polly observed Independence Day by acknowledging the challenges our country faces and celebrating the progress we've made. As we looked forward to the future, we asked ourselves what we valued most about this country. Watch the sermon.
• New members' group:Wed, July 7 (5:30 pm) Continued discussion of forgiveness, especially in relationships. • Taizé worship service:Fri, Jul 9 (7:30 pm) A service of contemplative chant and prayer. Poetry by C. P. Cavafy. • Worship & Arts meeting:Wed, Aug 4 (7pm) Join our worship planning committee as we discuss future service themes, guest preachers, and more. All are welcome.
Links and resources
• A photo gallery of outdoor chapels
• "Rebel Hearts" film profiles defiant nuns
• Hilton plans hotel atop demolished Uyghur mosque
• In Philly, clergy work with DA against gun violence
• “Breaths” by Sweet Honey in the Rock
Quote of the week
“Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you.”
—Henri Frederic Amiel
Weekly online events
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am
• Meditation discussion: Wednesdays at 8 am
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Image: Isabel Stenzel Byrnes