News for July 11, 2023
This Sunday, July 16: In-person serviceThis Sunday, July 16, Rev. Polly will continue our exploration of spirituality and poetry. Between Covid quarantine and church camp this weekend, it will be a small, select group on Sunday morning, so expect something unusual!
The Giving Sunday offering for July is for San Mateo's Catherine Center, helping women re-enter society after incarceration.
Women's Group news
Picnic lunch next Monday, 7/17, 1pm at church. BYO. Feels like summer is finally here!
It's time to start planning our Labor Day retreat! The usual timing: dinner on Friday Sept 1 to lunch on Sunday Sept 3. (No extension to Monday this year, sorry.) Tell Polly if you're coming. Early responders get the beds!
Upcoming services and events
• Weds discussion group: July 12 (7 pm), Zoom
"Basic Bible Stories", starting with Adam and Eve and the snake. What does the Bible actually say and what has been read into it over the centuries? Everyone is welcome.
• Church Camp. July 14-16 at Monte Toyon along with Belmont UCC and others.
• Church Council. There will be no Council meeting in July. Enjoy the break!
• Book Group: Sun, July 30 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading the book "On Vanishing: Mortality, Dementia, and What It Means to Disappear" by Lynn Casteel Harper.
• Taize service: Fri, Aug 11 (7:30 pm) at church. Also available on Zoom. We will be singing Marty Haugen's vespers service, "Holden Evening Prayer."
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Our own Alex Neumann quoted in a Forbes article about homophobia in professional pickleball. Picture too!
• Watch the zooming in on this amazing piece of art.
• News items from the UCC's General Synod, which ran June 30-July 4 in Indianapolis.
Quote of the week
"There ain't no answer. There ain't gonna be any answer. There never has been an answer. That's the answer." -- Gertrude Stein
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Jim Garrison meditation card