News for Jun 22, 2021
This Sun, Jun 27
This Sunday at 10 am, MK Nelson returns as our guest preacher. Her sermon is called “Dub Nation: A Community of Warriors Beyond the Court.” She writes that she'll “talk about sports (and in particular the Warriors basketball team) as modern-day replacement for community ritual — and the arena as a sacred place where the collective human experience is amplified. The talk will also weave in musings about sportsmanship — and how sport, despite its secular positioning, lays out moral and ethical frameworks for how to relate with one another.” After the service, our Worship & Arts Committee will meet to plan upcoming Sundays. Join us via Zoom a few minutes before 10 am Pacific.
Wednesday: meditate in the redwoods
Tomorrow at 9 am, the meditation group will meet at Purisima Redwood Preserve, south of Half Moon Bay. Afterwards, they'll have brunch at the HMB Coffee Company. The group will meet at the Higgins Road Trailhead. Click here for Google Maps directions. (From HMB: Drive south for 4.2 mi on Highway 1, turn left on Verde Road, after 0.4 mi continue straight onto Purisima Creek Road, and continue 3.5 mi to the trailhead.) Contact Jim Garrison for more info.
Puente school supplies drive
Puente, which serves low-income communities on the coastside, has kicked off their annual school supplies drive. They write: “This year we are doing something different by providing families with gift cards to purchase the supplies instead of pre-filled backpacks. With your support, we will provide gift cards for school supplies to 240 students in the La Honda-Pescadero Unified School District.” Learn more or donate now.
• New members' group:Wed, Jun 23 (5:30 pm) We'll discuss forgiveness and letting go. (We’re also reading Jim Burklo’s new book, “Tenderly Calling,” for a discussion sometime in July.) • Book group:Sun, Jun 27 (7 pm) We’ll continue discussing “The Cloister.” For July 25, we’ll read “Neither Wolf nor Dog” by Kent Nerburn. • Next in-person worship: Sun, July 4 (10 am) Join us outdoors on the church lawn for worship. • Isabel Stenzel Byrnes: Sun, July 11 (10 am) On July 11, our speaker will be the co-author of "The Power of Two: A Twin Triumph Over Cystic Fibrosis."
Links and resources
• Sounds and stories from MCC San Francisco by the American Religious Sounds Project
• Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber: Who deserves communion?
• Rev. Terri Echelbarger: Two Minutes with Terri
• Children's choir sings to G7 leaders
• Rachel Held Evans’ kids' book: ”What Is God Like?”
Quote of the week
“We interrupt our regular program to bring you this special bulletin: It’s a nice day outside.” —Charles Schulz
Weekly online events
• Worship service: Sundays at 10 am
• Meditation discussion: Wednesdays at 8 am
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Image: This Sunday's preacher, MK Nelson