News for Jul 19, 2022
This Sunday: Zoom service
Join us on Zoom this Sunday at 10 am. Jim Garrison will be giving the message, discussing “Kimo,” a 1928 book by Alice Cooper Bailey about a Hawaiian boy who goes to visit his family in a remote village. Join us on Zoom a few minutes before 10 am.
Check out our YouTube page to see recent sermons. Go to our archive of slides to see bulletins and slides used during recent services.
Upcoming events • Book group: Sun, Jul 24 (7 pm), Zoom
“The Dictionary of Lost Words” by Pip Williams
• Weds discussion group: Jul 13 (7 pm), Zoom
Continued close reading of the Didache, including its rituals for baptism and communion.
• Lynne Shafsky memorial: Sat, Aug 6, (1:30 pm)
Please bring a mask
• Women's retreat: Sep 2–5, in person
• Worship & Arts committee: Sun, Sep, (11 am)
Help us plan upcoming Sunday services
Belmont yard sale to end medical debt
We’re participating in a multi-church yard sale at the Congregational Church of Belmont. It's a fundraiser for the nonprofit RIP Medical Debt, which helps low-income families free themselves from medical debt. The yard sale will be Sat, Aug 27 from 9 am–3 pm. Start looking for items at your house that could use a new home! More details (PDF download). Please contact Polly if you can help organize our participation in this event.
Resources and links
• Cormac Thompson sings “Be Thou My Vision”
• Debates over pro-life presence at a progressive Christian festival
• “Stars” by Eriks Esenvalds, with lyrics by Sara Teasdale
• Abundant Grace Coastside Worker is in need of bath towels. Contact Butch.
Quote of the week
“The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.”
• Women's group: Mondays at 1 pm
Usually on Zoom; third Mondays at church
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: “The Good Samaritan” (after Eugène Delacroix), Vincent van Gogh