News for May 9, 2023
This Sunday, May 14: In-person service
This Sunday, May 14, our guest preacher will be Zack Sharrin, a friend of Roy's who is a psychic. There is considerable overlap between psychics and spiritual mystics, so expect a good discussion. Communion will be celebrated.
We welcome Many Journeys members and Rev. Terri Echelbarger, who will be visiting our service on Sunday as part of their tour of local churches, now that Many Journeys is closing. They have shared our building for seventeen years.
The Giving Sunday collection for May is for California Clubhouse, very appropriate since May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
Taize worship this Friday
Join us on Friday, May 12, at 7:30 pm for our monthly service of chant, prayer and quiet. Hear the poetry of Pablo Neruda as we watch dusk settle over the Bay. Cellist Doug Machiz will be there too.
Annual Gathering June 15-17
The Annual Gathering of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC will happen close to us this year, at First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, from Thursday, June 15 to Saturday, June 17. This is the meeting that used to be at Asilomar, then moved to the campus of Sonoma State University, and finally landed on the Peninsula. Check out the draft schedule, price list and registration. This is a good opportunity to catch up with friends from other churches and meet the new conference staff.
Church Camp July 14-16
The Belmont UCC is reviving an old tradition of sharing a Family Camp weekend with local UCC churches, and we are invited. It won't be Camp Caz, of course, but they have found the Methodist Monte Toyon camp near Aptos to be a reasonable substitute (looks slightly less rustic than Caz to me!). Information from Belmont is here; if you're interested in going, tell Polly before June 1.
Upcoming services and events
• Weds discussion group: May 10 (7 pm), Zoom
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father but through me." (John 14:6) What did it mean originally and how else has it been interpreted? All are welcome to the conversation.
• Taize Service: Fri, May 12 (7:30 pm) at church
• Potluck at the Doyle's: Sun, May 21 after church. Graduation celebration for Deirdre!
• Many Journeys Sending-Out Celebration:: Sat, May 27 at church 11-2
We are all invited to their farewell gathering. RSVP to Rev Terri for the food headcount.
• Worship & Arts: Sun, May 28 after church. Come help us plan the summer.
• Book Group: Sun, Apr 23 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading "You Could Make this Place Beautiful" by Maggie Smith.
• Annual Church Picnic: Sun, June 4, in Butch's redwood grove. Gather at 11 am.
• Congregational Meeting: Sun, June 11, after worship. Vote on the incoming officers and hear important updates to our 2023 plan.
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• Yo Yo Ma plays “In the Gale” with bird accompaniment
• Masterworks Chorale is doing a staged reading of the musical "Secret Garden," on May 20 at 7pm and May 21 at 4pm, at CCSM (aka the downtown church). Classic children's story, really lovely music. Here's another sample: "Come Spirit, Come Charm" and "A Bit of Earth"
Quote of the week
"On the last day of the world, I would want to plant a tree." -- W. S. Merwin
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: a bit of CHC history rediscovered as MJ moved out. (We used to be a physical polling place; this was our response to distress over the 2016 election, since we weren't allowed to post political signs. People stayed and sat with us.)