News for August 8, 2023
This Sunday, August 13: In-person service at 10am
Roy Gesley is our guest preacher this Sunday, and his chosen poet is David Wagoner. Wagoner spent most of his life in the Pacific Northwest, and his poetry reflects that. Roy is going to talk about one of his favorite Wagoner poems, "Salmon Boy."
Instant Choir meets before worship, starting at 8:45am. All are welcome.
Worship & Arts meets after worship. Come help us plan the fall.
The Giving Sunday offering for August is for Our Church's Wider Mission (UCC), which provides basic support for churches, conferences and associations.
Taize service this Friday
Join us on Friday at 7:30pm for our monthly service of chant and prayer. This month we will sing "Holden Evening Prayer", a vespers liturgy by Marty Haugen, composed at Holden Village in the North Cascades of Washington (see image). Polly and Kevin are the cantors, joined by violin, cello and piano. Poetry by Wendell Berry.
Victor in the news
Our very own Victor Floyd has been causing "good trouble" in the city! During Pride Month he organized and put on a Drag Queen Bible Story Hour at Calvary Pres, where he is a pastor. That caused hate-speech protestors to show up at the church on Sunday mornings, Bibles in one hand, mics in the other. Then of course Calvary responded with a big rally of support (image at right is from July 23; Victor said there were 30 first-timers that morning!).
You can ask him about the experience on August 20, when he will be here at CHC as our guest preacher.
Upcoming services and events
• Weds discussion group: Aug 9 (7 pm), Zoom
"Basic Bible Stories", continuing with the story of Joseph. Come meet the main figures in the foundational history of Judaism (and thus, Christianity). Everyone is welcome.
• Taize service: Fri, Aug 11 (7:30 pm) at church. Also available on Zoom. We will be singing Marty Haugen's vespers service, "Holden Evening Prayer." Kevin Doyle and Polly Moore, cantors. Deirdre Doyle, violin; Ami Nashimoto, cello; Peter Meredith, piano.
• Instant Choir.Sun, Aug 13. Rehearsal at 8:45am.
• Worship & Arts. Sun, Aug 13 after worship.
• Book Group: Sun, Aug 27 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading the book "Circe" by Madeline Miller. An imaginative reconstruction of the mythical character Circe.
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• What if the church knew it only had 5 years left? Nadia Bolz-Weber blog
• Migrants in Sacramento helped by faith communities (including Raj’s church, Parkside UCC)
• "Stars and Stripes Forever" arranged for marimba trio. Just makes me smile!
Quote of the week
"People who sincerely search will touch upon the same truth in every age and culture. The direction is always towards more love in ever widening circles."
- Richard Rohr
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: poet David Wagoner (1926-2021)