News for May 16, 2023
This Sunday, May 21: In-person servic
This Sunday, May 21, Roy Gesley will talk about his experiences worshipping with a Quaker community for 15 years. The following Sunday, May 28, he will lead us in a Quaker-style worship service. (It will be Pentecost, which is a perfect Sunday for the Spirit to move!)
Deirdre Doyle will be joining the church this Sunday, as we conclude her CHC-style confirmation class. She will be attending CSU Monterey Bay next fall to study marine biology. The graduation/birthday celebration continues after church at the Doyle's, with a potluck lunch to which we are all invited,
Church Council will meet after worship.
The Giving Sunday collection for May is for California Clubhouse, very appropriate since May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
Annual Gathering June 15-17
The Annual Gathering of the Northern California Nevada Conference of the UCC will happen close to us this year, at First Congregational Church in Palo Alto, from Thursday, June 15 to Saturday, June 17. This is the meeting that used to be at Asilomar, then moved to the campus of Sonoma State University, and finally landed on the Peninsula. Check out the draft schedule, price list and registration. This is a good opportunity to catch up with friends from other churches and meet the new conference staff.
Church Camp July 14-16
Last chance to sign up!
The Belmont UCC is reviving an old tradition of sharing a Family Camp weekend with local UCC churches, and we are invited. It won't be Camp Caz, of course, but they have found the Methodist Monte Toyon camp near Aptos to be a reasonable substitute (looks slightly less rustic than Caz to me!). Information from Belmont is here; if you're interested in going, tell Polly before Friday of this week.
Upcoming services and events
• Potluck at the Doyle's: Sun, May 21 after church. Graduation celebration for Deirdre!
• Weds discussion group: May 24 (7 pm), Zoom
We're starting on the list of "clobber passages", those Bible verses used against the LGBTQ+ community. What did they mean originally? How else have they been interpreted? All are welcome to the conversation.
• Many Journeys Sending-Out Celebration:: Sat, May 27 at church 11-2
We are all invited to their farewell gathering. RSVP to Rev Terri for the food headcount.
• Worship & Arts: Sun, May 28 after church. Come help us plan the summer.
• Book Group: Sun, May 28 (7 pm), Zoom. Reading the memoir "You Could Make this Place Beautiful" by Maggie Smith.
• Annual Church Picnic: Sun, June 4, in Butch's redwood grove. Gather at 11 am.
• Congregational Meeting: Sun, June 11, after worship. Vote on the incoming officers and hear important updates to our 2023 plan.
• Women’s retreat: Sep 1-3, Pacific Grove
Contact Polly Moore for details.
• Men’s retreat: Sep 22–24, Pacific Grove
Contact Roy Gesley for details.
Links and resources
• 13-year-old Malakai Bayoh sings "Pie Jesu" by Andrew Lloyd Webber
• Masterworks Chorale is doing a staged reading of the musical "Secret Garden," on May 20 at 7pm and May 21 at 4pm, at CCSM (aka the downtown church). Classic children's story, really lovely music. Here's another sample: "How Could I Ever Know?"
Quote of the week
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-- Eden Phillpotts (also attributed to W. B. Yeats and Bertrand Russell)
• Meditation group: Wednesdays at 7:30 am
In person at the church building
• Sunday worship: 10 am
In person or on Zoom — see the newsletter or this site for updates
Image: Jim Garrison meditation card